Moving makes people feel lots of different emotions. First, of course, it’s exciting because you’re going to a new place, but we all know that it can also be a bit frustrating since you have to pack up what is essentially your entire life and then bring it to a new place. Well, it doesn’t have to be frustrating when you know all of the right tips and tricks to pack up all of your things and to move them into your new home.
- Make sure you aren’t packing too much into boxes. I get that you want to have as few boxes as possible, but packing too many things into big boxes is only going to hurt you in the end when your package is too heavy for you to carry off the moving truck. Try packing smaller boxes to ensure they don’t all end up too heavy when you’re moving them around.
- Make sure you’re labeling all of your boxes for which rooms they go into! Adding labels may seem like a small thing that may not matter, but when you’re carrying your boxes into your new house, you don’t want to have all of your parcels just sitting in random rooms, and then you have to run everything all over the place when you’re in the unpacking process. You want to take each box to their respective rooms and unpack them where they belong.
- Start packing sooner rather than later. If you know that you’re going to move a little in advance, take advantage of that and start packing right away so that you aren’t rushing in the last few days to get all of your things together. You don’t have to pack up everything right away. Still, the items sitting in your kitchen cabinets that you haven’t used in months or the random things stored in the basement can all be packed up so that you don’t have to worry about that when you’re focused on packing up all of the more oversized items.
- Take some time to declutter. Getting rid of the things you don’t need or don’t use can be a lifesaver when moving, especially if those items are on the bigger side. Then you have fewer things to pack up and more space for the necessities.
- Only leave out the things you will use the night before and the actual day of your move. Pack them in a separate bag that you will bring around with you. You don’t want to have to worry about where to put all of that stuff, like your pajamas and your toothbrush, so pack those away in a separate bag for you to leave out.
- Make sure you’re wrapping up all of the fragile items! You can use bubble wrap or even newspaper, but you want to keep those items safely wrapped up. Also, make sure to mark those boxes as fragile to know which ones to be handled carefully. Try to keep those fragile items together, so you don’t have many different boxes to worry about handling carefully.
- When taking apart furniture items, take photos of all of the pieces and screws that you need for that item so you can make sure you have everything once you’re putting those back together in the new house.
- If you’re packing any cleaning chemicals or tools or anything that could affect other items of yours, make sure you’re loading those in a separate box. You don’t want those things to ruin your clothes or your furniture or really anything, so make sure those are packed away somewhere where they cannot damage essential things.
- Use boxes you have from packages you’ve ordered, or go to your local grocery store and see if they have any boxes. Odds are, they do. You could buy all of your packing supplies from Home Depot, but you could save a little bit of money if you look otherwise for packing materials!
- If you’re planning on hiring a moving company to help you, make sure you get quotes from more than one place. Using those companies can be expensive, and you want to make sure you’re getting the best bang for your buck.
I hope these tips can help you in your move! Of course, there are more things to know about moving and packing, but these are some of the essential things to know before you pack up all of your belongings and move into your new home!